Richard L. Reeder
|Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
College of Engineering & Natural Sciences
-B.S., University of Missouri-Kansas City
-M.S., University of Missouri-Kansas City
-Ph.D., The University of Arizona
Hall 304 or
Keplinger Hall M205 (Dean's Office)
Phone: (918) 631-2757
or (918) 631-3159
My interests deal mostly with the biology of terrestrial pulmonate
gastropods, particularly those of the southwestern desert regions of North America. My principal focus has been
in the areas of systematics, zoogeography, and the functional morphology of the reproductive system. With regard
to the latter, my work has centered on the histology and ultrastructure of the reproductive systems and relating
these structural considerations to the functions of the various organs in those systems. These animals are functional
hermaphrodites and have relatively elaborate reproductive systems. The main groups I focus on are members of the
families polygyridae and helminthoglyptidae. Additionally I have an interest in the morphology and ultrastructure
of cell types in general with recent work in reproductive systems in rats.
- Biol1604-Introduction to Organismal and Evolutionary Biology
- Biol3254-Comparative Vertebrate Embryology
- Biol3064- Selected Topics in Invertebrate Zoology
- Reeder, R.L. & B.S. Shirley, 1999. Deciliation in the Ampulla of the
Rat Oviduct and Effects of Estrogen on the Process. Journal of Experimental Zoology 283: 71-80.
- Shirley, B.S. & R. L. Reeder,1996. Cyclic Changes in the Ampulla of
the Rat Oviduct. The Journal of Experimental Zoology 276(2): 164-173.
- Reeder, R.L., 1993. A new Ashmunella (Gastropoda: Pulmonata: Polygyridae)
from Sonora, Mexico. The Veliger 36(1):69-71.
- Reeder, R.L. and B. Roth, 1988. A new subgenus of Helminthoglypta (Gastropoda:
Pulmonata: Helminthoglyptidae) with the description of a new species from San Bernardino county, California. The
- Reeder, R.L. and W.B. Miller, 1987. A description of a new Helminthoglypta
(Rothelix) (Gastropoda: Pulmonata: Helminthoglyptidae) from southern California with comments on its probable evolutionary
relationships. The Southwestern Naturalist 32(2):261-265.
- Reeder, R.L.,1986. A new species of Helminthoglypta (Gastropoda: Pulmonata:
Helminthoglyptidae) from the Cuyamaca Mountains of Southern California. The Veliger 28(4):444-447.
- Christensen, C.C. and R.L. Reeder,1981. New records of Sonorella (Pulmonata:
Helminthoglyptidae) from the Table Top Mountains, Pinal County, Arizona, with a description of Sonorella milleri,
new species. The Southwestern Naturalist 26(4):341-344.
- Rogers, S.H., R.L. Reeder, and A. Shannon,1980. Ultrastructural analysis
of the morphology and function of the spermatheca of the pulmonate snail, Sonorella santatritana. Journal of Morphology
- Reeder, R.L. & S.H. Rogers,1979. The histochemistry of the spermatheca
in four species of Sonorella (Gastropoda: Pulmonata). Transactions of the American Microscopical Society 98(2):267-271.
- Chief Health Professions Advisor (Premedical, Predental, & Prevet
- Undergraduate Committee, Faculty of Biological Science